I've finally gotten myself a replacement for my Sony Ericsson K800i. Its pretty ancient by today's standard. So without further ado, I present to you the Nokia E6.
Nokia E6-00
It has the best of both worlds, a touchscreen and a full-fledged keyboard. I've always disliked typing on a touchscreen phone. I prefer the tactile feedback of a button.
A brief introduction on this phone. It runs on the new Symbian Anna OS. Which is miles better than previous version of Symbian S60 and before. Think of when Google's Android OS was somewhere around the 1.5 Cupcake version. It runs without much hiccups. Other than the menu/submenu structure which I have to get used to. (For the record, I've been using Android/W7 phones lately)
So this needs some time getting back used to.
It has 768MB of RAM, not much for a smartphone, but it gets the job done. I was stress-testing it a while ago. I opened up the music player, went to the OVI store, downloaded some stuff and just nice, a Whatsapp message came. It freezed for like about 20 seconds before I could get anything moving on-screen. Bottom-line: Don't do too much multi-tasking, you'll get yourself killed while waiting for it to respond.
The 8MP camera does well for a casual shooter; the times when you find yourself needing a camera but you're not holding one. Decent pictures, though not very polished. I've seen better quality images from HTC and Apple phones.
I liked how they made it a touchscreen though sometimes it might be a little bit too small. Nokia made it so you won't be relying on the touch too much. There's always the D-pad and the physical keyboard.
Oh yes! A gripe that I had earlier on when I wanted it to connect to the Internet using 3G. I wanted to update the OVI store version, it refused to connect using 3G. Thankfully, I did a diploma in wireless computing back in the days. So I changed the Access Point name. Instead of using 'shwap', I added an 'int' at the back. Works like a charm. The phone had no problems connecting using 3G after that.
So far, I played with the Ovi Maps, the music player. Pretty much the same as what you'd get on previous Symbian OS. Which would cement the conclusion that Anna upgrade was more towards on the cosmetic side. Visual improvements.
That said, I haven't tried any calls with it yet. And I'm already looking forward to a new version of the Symbian version called Belle.
I'm rather happy with the phone overall and my only complaint is the SERIOUS lack of apps.

No comments:
Post a Comment