Monday, August 26, 2013

The Singaporean Disease

You know, the way to handle stress is to actually concentrate on other things long enough to make you forget about what is causing the stress. The trick of relieving stress is not exactly to take your mind away from things. It is to take your mind off things long enough for you not to think about it. And that, is stress management.

I was thinking of the uncertain future, a while ago. Thinking of how perspectives have changed since back when I was in primary school, secondary school, through polytechnic, National Service, a glimpse of work life and now finally in University. It had drastically changed quite a considerable bit. Back when I was in primary school or way before that, my ambition was actually to become a pilot. A fighter pilot. I just feel it exhilarating to being able to travel fast and doing something for the country. Yes, I was that patriotic.

Soon, when I started going on into secondary school, perhaps, it was a chance that I got to know that there were no Malay fighter pilots. Knowingly or unknowingly. So I decided to change track. I was very competent in programming languages back then. It had become second nature to me. I was able to do very well in it other than my academic grades. To be honest, I didn't really study that hard for O levels but it got me through.

Decidedly, I took up a Mobile & Wireless Computing course in Polytechnic. Earning me a diploma in 3 years. Nothing short of an achievement. Even though it was without a Merit award, my parents were equally proud. I could tell from their faces during graduation. From that moment on, I passed a hurdle in life albeit a very important one. It was due to the hard work of my parents and the support they had for me. I wouldn't have achieved what I had back in the days.

Now, the funny thing about National Service. No disruptions for University studies for average blokes like me. Slaved for 2 years. Nothing much to talk about other than being a waste of my time and youth. No son of mine will be Singapore citizens. I do not want them to suffer from the elitist disease.

No comments: